- We all ready know that a stationery charges gets up a electric field E in the space surrounding it and this electric field exerts a force F=q0E on the test charge q0 placed in magnetic field.
- Similarly we can describe the intraction of moving charges that, a moving charge excert a magnetic field in the space surrounding it and this magnetic field exert a force on the moving charge.
- Like electric field, magntic field is also a vector quantity and is represented by symbol B
- Like electric field force which depend on the magnitude of charge and electric field, magnetic force is propotional to the magnitude of charge and the strength of magnetic field.
- Apart from its dependence on magnitude of charge and magnetic field strength magnetic force also depends on velocity of the particle.
- The magnitude magnetic force increase with increase in speed of charged particle.
- Direction of magnetic force depends on direction of magnetc field B and velocity v of the chared particle.
- The direction of magnetic force is not alonge the direction of magnetic field but direction of force is always perpendicular to direction of both magnetic field B and velocity v
- Test charge of magnitude q0 is moving with velocity v through a point P in magnetic field B experience a deflecting force F defined by a equation
F=qv X B
- As mentioned earlier this force on charged particle is perpendicular to the plane formed by v and B and its direction is determined right hand thumb rule.
- When moving charge is positive the direction of force F is the direction of advance of hand screw whose axis is perpendicular to the plane formed by v and B.
- Direction of force would be opposit to the direction of advance screw for negative charge moving in same direction.
- Magnitude of force on charged particle is
where θ is the angle between v and B.
- If v and B are at right angle to each other i.e. θ=90 then force acting on the particle would be maximum and is given by
- When θ=180 or θ=0 i.e. v is parallel or antiparallel to B then froce acting on the particle would be zero.
- Again from equation 2 if the velocity of the palticle in the magnetic field is zero i.e., particle is stationery in magnetic field then it does not experience any force.
- SI unit of strength of magnetic field is tesla (T). It can be defined as follows
for F=1N,q=1C and v=1m/s and θ=90
Thus if a charge of 1C when moving with velocity of 1m/s along the direction perpendicular to the magnetic field experiences a force of 1N then magnitude of field at that point is equal to 1 tesla (1T).
- Another SI unit of magnetic field is weber/m2 Thus
In CGS system, the magnetic field is expressed in 'gauss'. And 1T= 104 gauss. Dimention formula of magnetic field (B) is [MT-2A-1]
at 4:44:00 AM
Class 9 physics notes on chapter motion is now available at the following link CLASS 9 MOTION NOTES (FULL LENGTH)
Question1: A charge Q is divided in two parts q and Q - q separated by a distance R. If force between the two charges is maximum, find the ...
Coherent sources are those sources of light which emit continous light waves of same wavelength , same frequency and are in same phase or h...
Our New Free physics ebooks (pdfs) are available at this link . Hope you lile them.
Unit I: Physical World and Measurement (Periods 10) Physics: Scope and excitement; nature of physical laws; Physics, technology and society...
ADVANTAGES The generation of A.C. is cheaper than that of D.C. A.C. machines are simple , robust and do mot require much attention for the...
Hi all here in this article i am giving some tips and tricks to solve problems in mechanics. To master problem solving skill you need to pra...
1.A particle moves in a straight line with retardation proportional to its displacement. Its loss of kinetic energy for any displacement x i...
Many times i have had users ask me a question which book to opt between H.C Verma Concepts of physics and NCERT physics books . My answer ...
Unit I: Electrostatics (Periods 25) Electric charges and their conservation. Coulomb’s law – force between two point charges, forces betwee...