- We know that time average value of AC over one cycle is zero and it can be proved easily
- Instantaneous current I and time average of AC over half cycle could be positive for one half cycle and negative for another half cycle but quantity i2 would always remain positive
- So time average of quantity i2 is
This is known as the mean square current
- The square root of mean square current is called root mean square current or rms current.
thus ,the rms value of AC is .707i0 of the peak value of alternating current
- Similarly rms value of alternating voltage or emf is
- If we allow the AC current represented by i=i0sin(ωt+φ) to pass through a resistor of resistance R,the power dissipated due to flow of current would be
- Since magnitude of current changes with time ,the power dissipation in circuit also changes
- The average Power dissipated over one complete current cycle would be
If we pass direct current of magnitude irms through the resistor ,the power dissipate or rate of production of heat in this case would be
- Thus rms value of AC is that value of steady current which would dissipate the same amount of power in a given resistance in a given tine as would gave been dissipated by alternating current
- This is why rms value of AC is also known as virtual value of current
Root Mean square value of AC
at 6:29:00 AM
Class 9 physics notes on chapter motion is now available at the following link CLASS 9 MOTION NOTES (FULL LENGTH)
Question1: A charge Q is divided in two parts q and Q - q separated by a distance R. If force between the two charges is maximum, find the ...
Coherent sources are those sources of light which emit continous light waves of same wavelength , same frequency and are in same phase or h...
Our New Free physics ebooks (pdfs) are available at this link . Hope you lile them.
Unit I: Physical World and Measurement (Periods 10) Physics: Scope and excitement; nature of physical laws; Physics, technology and society...
ADVANTAGES The generation of A.C. is cheaper than that of D.C. A.C. machines are simple , robust and do mot require much attention for the...
Hi all here in this article i am giving some tips and tricks to solve problems in mechanics. To master problem solving skill you need to pra...
1.A particle moves in a straight line with retardation proportional to its displacement. Its loss of kinetic energy for any displacement x i...
Unit I: Electrostatics (Periods 25) Electric charges and their conservation. Coulomb’s law – force between two point charges, forces betwee...
Many times i have had users ask me a question which book to opt between H.C Verma Concepts of physics and NCERT physics books . My answer ...