- As we have mentioned earlier magnetic force F=(vXB) does not do any work on the particle as it is perpendicular to the velocity.
- Hence magnetic force does not cause any change in kinetic energy or speed of the particle.
- Let us consider there is a uniform magnetic field B perpendicular to the plane of paper and directed in downward direction and is indicated by the symbol C in figure shown below.
- Now a charge particle +q is projected with a velocity v to the magnetic field at point O with velocity v directed perpendicular to the magnetic field.
- Magnetic force acting on the particle is
F=q(v X B) = qvBsinθ
Since v is perpendicular to B i.e., angle between v and B is θ=90 Thus charged particle at point O is acted upon by the force of magnitude
and the direction of force would be perpendicular to both v and B
- Since the force f is perpendicular to the velocity, it would not change the magnitude of the velocity and the peffect of this force is only to change the direction of the velocity.
- Thus under the action of the magnetic force of the particle will more along the circle perpendicular to the field.
- Therefore the charged particle describe an anticlockwise circular path with constant speed v and here magnetic force work as centripetal force. Thus
where radius of the circular path traversed by the particle in the magnetic in field B is given as
thus radius of the path is proportional to the momentum mv pof the charged particle.
- 2πr is the distance traveled by the particle in one revolution and the period T of the complete revolution is
T=2 πr /v
time period T is
and the frequency of the particle is f=1/T=qB/2πm (7)
- From equation (6) and (7) we see that both time period and frequency does not dependent on the velocity of the moving charged particle.
- Increasing the speed of the charged particle would result in the increace in the radius of the circle. So that time taken to complete one revolution would remains same.
- If the moving charged particle exerts the magnetic field in such a that velocity v of particle makes an angle θ with the magnetic field then we can resolve the velocity in two components
vparallel : Compenents of the velocity parallel to field
vperpendicular :component of velocity perpendicular to magnetic field B
- The component vpar would remain unchanged as magnetic force is perpendicular to it.
- In the plane perpendicular to the field the particle travels in a helical path. Radius of the circular path of the helex is
at 1:14:00 PM
Class 9 physics notes on chapter motion is now available at the following link CLASS 9 MOTION NOTES (FULL LENGTH)
Question1: A charge Q is divided in two parts q and Q - q separated by a distance R. If force between the two charges is maximum, find the ...
Coherent sources are those sources of light which emit continous light waves of same wavelength , same frequency and are in same phase or h...
Our New Free physics ebooks (pdfs) are available at this link . Hope you lile them.
Unit I: Physical World and Measurement (Periods 10) Physics: Scope and excitement; nature of physical laws; Physics, technology and society...
ADVANTAGES The generation of A.C. is cheaper than that of D.C. A.C. machines are simple , robust and do mot require much attention for the...
Hi all here in this article i am giving some tips and tricks to solve problems in mechanics. To master problem solving skill you need to pra...
1.A particle moves in a straight line with retardation proportional to its displacement. Its loss of kinetic energy for any displacement x i...
Many times i have had users ask me a question which book to opt between H.C Verma Concepts of physics and NCERT physics books . My answer ...
Unit I: Electrostatics (Periods 25) Electric charges and their conservation. Coulomb’s law – force between two point charges, forces betwee...