1. A wavefront is the locus of points having same phase of oscillation.
2. Rays are lines perpandicular to the wavefront, which shows the direction of propagation of energy.
3. The time taken for light to travel from one wavefront to another is same along any ray.
4. Huygen's construction is based on the principle that every point of a wavefront is the source of secondary wavefront that is the surface tangent to all secondary wavefronts gives rise to a new wavefront.
5. The law of refraction (i=r) and the Snell's law of refraction
sini /sinr =v1/v2=n2/n1 = n21
can be derived using the wave theory. Here v1 and v2 are the speed of light in media 1 and 2 wiyh refractive index n1 and n2 respectively.
6. The frequency ν remains same when light travels from one medium to another. The speed of the wave is given by
where λ is the wavelength of the wave and T is the period of oscillation.
7. Emission , absorption and scattering are the three proscesses by which matter interacts with radiation.
8. In emission , an accelerated charge radiates an looses energy.
9. In absorption the charge gains energy at the expence of the EM wave.
10. In scattering the charge accelerated by incident EM wave radiated in all direction.
11. Two sources of light are coherent if they have same frequency and stable phase difference.
12. In case of coherent sources of light the total intensity I is not just the sum of individual intensities I1 and I2 due to two sources but also includes an interference term that is
I = I1 + I2 + 2kE1.E2
where E1 and E2 are the electric fields at a point due to the sources.
13. The interference term averaged over many cycles is zero if (i) the source of light have different frequencies or (ii) the source have the same frequency but not stable phase difference. For such incoherent sources I = I1 + I2
Class 9 physics notes on chapter motion is now available at the following link CLASS 9 MOTION NOTES (FULL LENGTH)
Question1: A charge Q is divided in two parts q and Q - q separated by a distance R. If force between the two charges is maximum, find the ...
Coherent sources are those sources of light which emit continous light waves of same wavelength , same frequency and are in same phase or h...
Our New Free physics ebooks (pdfs) are available at this link . Hope you lile them.
Unit I: Physical World and Measurement (Periods 10) Physics: Scope and excitement; nature of physical laws; Physics, technology and society...
ADVANTAGES The generation of A.C. is cheaper than that of D.C. A.C. machines are simple , robust and do mot require much attention for the...
Hi all here in this article i am giving some tips and tricks to solve problems in mechanics. To master problem solving skill you need to pra...
1.A particle moves in a straight line with retardation proportional to its displacement. Its loss of kinetic energy for any displacement x i...
Many times i have had users ask me a question which book to opt between H.C Verma Concepts of physics and NCERT physics books . My answer ...
Unit I: Electrostatics (Periods 25) Electric charges and their conservation. Coulomb’s law – force between two point charges, forces betwee...