- Kinetic energy is the energy possesed by the body by virtue of its motion
- Body moving with greater velocity would posses greater K.E in comparison of the body moving with slower velocity
- Consider a body of mass m moving under the influenece of constant force F.From newton's second law of motion
Where a is the acceleration of the body
- If due to this acceleration a,velocity of the body increases from v1 to v2 during the displacement d then from equation of motion with constant acceleration we have
v22 -v12=2ad or
a=v22 -v12/2d Using this acceleration in Newton's second law of motion
Fd=mv22/2 -mv12/2 (7)
We know that Fd is the workdone by the force F in moving body through distance d
- In equation(7),quantity on the right hand side mv2/2 is called the kinetic energy of the body
- Finally we can define KE of the body as one half of the product of mass of the body and the square of its speed
- Thus we see that quantity (mv2/2) arises purely becuase of the motion of the body
- In equation 7 quantity
is the final KE of the body and
is the initial KE of the body .Thus equation 7 becomes
- Where ΔK is the change in KE.Hence from equation (9) ,we see that workdone by a force on a body is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the body
- Kinetic energy like work is a scalar quantity
- Unit of KE is same as that of work i.e Joule
- If there are number of forces acting on a body then we can find the resultant force ,which is the vector sum of all the forces and then find the workdone on the body
- Again equation (9) is a generalized result relating change in KE of the object and the net workdone on it.This equation can be summerized as
which says that kinetic energy after net workdone is equal to the KE before net work plus network done.Above statement is also known as work-kinetic energy theorem of particles
- Work energy theorem holds for both positive and negative workdone.if the workdone is positive then final KE increases by amount of the work and if workdone is negative then final KE decreases by the amount of workdone
For full notes on Work , Energy and Power visit Physicscatalyst.com
at 7:45:00 AM
Class 9 physics notes on chapter motion is now available at the following link CLASS 9 MOTION NOTES (FULL LENGTH)
Question1: A charge Q is divided in two parts q and Q - q separated by a distance R. If force between the two charges is maximum, find the ...
Coherent sources are those sources of light which emit continous light waves of same wavelength , same frequency and are in same phase or h...
Our New Free physics ebooks (pdfs) are available at this link . Hope you lile them.
Unit I: Physical World and Measurement (Periods 10) Physics: Scope and excitement; nature of physical laws; Physics, technology and society...
ADVANTAGES The generation of A.C. is cheaper than that of D.C. A.C. machines are simple , robust and do mot require much attention for the...
Hi all here in this article i am giving some tips and tricks to solve problems in mechanics. To master problem solving skill you need to pra...
1.A particle moves in a straight line with retardation proportional to its displacement. Its loss of kinetic energy for any displacement x i...
Unit I: Electrostatics (Periods 25) Electric charges and their conservation. Coulomb’s law – force between two point charges, forces betwee...
Many times i have had users ask me a question which book to opt between H.C Verma Concepts of physics and NCERT physics books . My answer ...