(1) Some system Executing SHM
a)Oscillations of a Spring mass system
-In this case particle of mass m oscillates under the influence of hooke's law restoring force given by F=-Kx where K is the spring constant
Angular Frequency ω=√(K/m)
Time period T=2π√(m/K)
And frequency is =(1/2π)√(K/m)
Time period of both horizontal ans vertical oscillation are same but spring constant have diffrent value for horizontal and vertical motion
b) Simple pendulum
-Motion of simple pendulum oscillating through small angles is a case of SHM with angular frequency given by
Where L is the length of the string.
-Here we notice that period of oscillation is independent of the mass m of the pendulum
c) Compound Pendulum
- Compound pendulum is a rigid body of any shape,capable of oscillating about the horizontal axis passing through it.
-Such a pendulum swinging with small angle executes SHM with the timeperiod
Where I =Moment of inertia of pendulum about the axis of suspension
L is the lenght of the pendulum
(2) Damped Oscillation
-SHM which continues indefinitely without the loss of the amplitude are called free oscillation or undamped and it is not a real case
- In real physical systems energy of the oscillator gradually decreases with time and oscillator will eventually come to rest.This happens because in acutal physical systems,friction(or damping ) is always present
-The reduction in amplitude or energy of the oscilaltor is called damping and oscillation are call damped
(3) Forced Oscillations and Resonance.
- Oscillations of a system under the influence of an external periodic force are called forced oscillations
- If frequency of externally applied driving force is equal to the natural frequency of the oscillator resonance is said to occur
Class 9 physics notes on chapter motion is now available at the following link CLASS 9 MOTION NOTES (FULL LENGTH)
Question1: A charge Q is divided in two parts q and Q - q separated by a distance R. If force between the two charges is maximum, find the ...
Coherent sources are those sources of light which emit continous light waves of same wavelength , same frequency and are in same phase or h...
Our New Free physics ebooks (pdfs) are available at this link . Hope you lile them.
Unit I: Physical World and Measurement (Periods 10) Physics: Scope and excitement; nature of physical laws; Physics, technology and society...
ADVANTAGES The generation of A.C. is cheaper than that of D.C. A.C. machines are simple , robust and do mot require much attention for the...
Hi all here in this article i am giving some tips and tricks to solve problems in mechanics. To master problem solving skill you need to pra...
1.A particle moves in a straight line with retardation proportional to its displacement. Its loss of kinetic energy for any displacement x i...
Many times i have had users ask me a question which book to opt between H.C Verma Concepts of physics and NCERT physics books . My answer ...
Unit I: Electrostatics (Periods 25) Electric charges and their conservation. Coulomb’s law – force between two point charges, forces betwee...